Redneck Review

Friday, September 09, 2005

Quackety Quack

Day 2 of Hillbilly Husband's hospital stay. Now they think the cellulitis
is gout. Go figure. HH has had gout before. Says this does not feel
the same. Now his doctor is more concerned about the pneumonia.
They still tell him it looks like he will get to go home on Monday.

HH said they wrapped up his foot last night, and it felt a lot better.
Then this morning, the foot doctor intern came back with someone
even less important than herself, who had never seen a "cellulitis
foot," so they cut it open. HH's words. He meant the wrap, not the
foot. Then they left it. Of course it swelled, and started to hurt again.
I told HH to ask them to wrap it again. He said he did, but the nurses
said they are only allowed to give him the antibiotics, the breathing
treatment, and the pain meds--it's hands-off the foot. The foot doctor
must approve. HH said the foot doctor was coming tonight. I asked
if he was sure, since she was there and cut off the bandage. HH said
yes, the REAL foot doctor, not the intern. I had to leave with the
whiney kids, and told HH to ask the nurses if they could call the
foot doctor about the wrap, since nobody was going to do it if he
didn't stick up for himself. About 2 hours later, he reported that the
foot intern had come back and wrapped it, and it felt better. HH said
she said she had not planned to come back until tomorrow--the real
foot doctor was not coming at all. He had looked at the x-rays and
thought it was gout. These people need to get their act together.

****************************************************

On a lighter note, my students gave me a good laugh again today.
One of them brought up a girl from my class a couple years ago,
who always had a good story to tell. One morning, she told us she
almost got dog-bitten the night before. During supper, she kind of
smarted off to her dad, and he yelled at her, and she said, "I'm
going for a walk!" She left the house and started down the road.
She passed a neighbor's house, and the dog started following her.
"I looked back, and here he came. I walked a little faster, because
they usually keep him tied up. He went faster. I started to run, and
he chased me. I was really starting to panic." Someone asked her,
"How did you get away." And she replied, "After I threw that
hot dog I had been carrying, he left me alone." Duh.

Another group started talking about Mrs. A. They had complained
earlier in the year that she was selling water to her students for a
dollar a bottle. They were outraged. A bottle of water should only
cost $.50, they said. I told them they didn't have to buy it. One
said, "I don't. I bring my own. It's just the idea of it. She is making
too much money off the kids. I know it is for her club, but that isn't
right. Why does she have to be so greedy? She is making $18.00
profit off a case of water. She should only be making $6.00"
(Hey! They've been doing math!!!)

Today another one said, "Just do like my friend. She says she steals
it. She just goes to the refrigerator and takes one. A lot of other
people do, too." Because apparently, two wrongs make a right.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:54 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Rachy,
    Schools have drinking fountains. But that would mean the students have to use about 10 seconds of their 4 minutes between classes to get a drink. Time that is better spent gossiping and complaining about the teacher selling bottled water at a 300% profit.

    The real foot doctor still has not seen my husband. The intern says the real doctor saw the labs and the x-rays, and believes it's gout. HH's other doctor, the general practitioner, says he has a bone infection. They are treating him for both. That's why insurance costs so much, I guess.

     
  • At 1:09 AM, Blogger Rachel Croucher said…

    Someone must have spread a rumour that there was hepatitis in drinking water, or that God forbid you could catch something like punctuality from the fountains...

    I can't stand it when doctors make judgements from lab results and x-rays, because a good doctor can discuss a patient's symptoms and work out a better plan of attack. But I guess it can't hurt to double dip. Don't you think it's funny how grown men who regard themselves as so tough can't even demand to see a doctor. It's amazing what a little bit of applied pressure on the intern at the hospital administration will do!

    - Rachy

     
  • At 1:34 AM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Rachy,
    This afternoon, he finally demanded a bedtime snack. (The patient info sheet they gave him said to ask for it if you wanted one.) I guess he got hungry after two nights of no snacks.

    I asked about an IV they gave him today, because he wouldn't. He said the nurse told him the doctor had ordered something to make him feel better. ? WTF ? HH said she hung the IV, and he went to sleep for 2 hours, and woke up drenched with sweat and feeling better. I didn't know if it was something to make him sleep, an antibiotic, a painkiller, or what.

    Turns out it was solumedrol, which I know is a steroid, but I don't know if it was for his lungs or his foot or just because they have given him every other f-ing thing under the sun.

     
  • At 8:32 PM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    Ever considered taking him to the vet next time? Sounds like he might get better care. Yeeeeeesh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home