Redneck Review

Saturday, October 22, 2005

What Do YOU Think?
















Here are a couple of photos, courtesy of my 10-year-old son.
We were out and about today, with Hillbilly Husband gone to
Germany for 6 days.

Do you know what this is? I'm not going to tell you. Now, anyway.
I'll bet Dave in Ardmore has a clue. This picture was taken in the
middle of the town where I grew up. It's a part of our history.

Need another look? Try this.
















It's quite large, as you can see. Don't go guessing things like:

It's a tree.
It's a flagpole.
It's a truck.

You know that's not what I'm talking about. It's not nice to try to
fool Hillbilly Mom. I teach middle school, remember? You can't
get away with guesses like this, no more than I will believe that
Canada is a state, Illinois is a city in Missouri, or Alaska is located
down by Hawaii in the Specific Ocean.

If you were hoping I'd say "Let me answer for you," hope some more.
I'll tell you tomorrow, if Dave doesn't tell you in the comments. Dave,
if you're reading, give a few others a chance to take a guess. But don't
give them long, because here at Hillbilly Mom's place, if you snooze,
you lose. Kind of like seeing some rolls of burlap at the Goodwill Store
and buying one, then deciding that you have to go back for more because
even though you don't know what to do with that burlap, you can't pass
up such a good price. But wouldn't you know it--when you go back
later in the afternoon, all the burlap has been bought. No burlap for you!

If you don't know what it is, there is no penalty for guessing. Within
reason, that is. Don't guess that it's a giant Bigfoot turd or something
frivolous. So...any guesses? Anybody...anybody? Bueller...?


OK, I can see from the response that all of you are dying to know. I'll
put the answer in the comments. The statue of limitations has run out.
(Don't you hate it when people say "statue"?)

5 Comments:

  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Yes, Dave, you are the WINNER!

    It IS a chat pile, except around here we call them "chat dumps." It is the ground-up rock after all the lead has been processed out of it. Well, all the lead that it was financially feasible for the St. Joe Lead Company to process out. The rest of it we have been breathing for decades.

    You are also right that there are more than one. Do you have an aerial view? I know of three within about
    6 miles of each other, but I am thinking there are others farther south. This one I believe was called the National Chat Dump. It is located next to Flat River Glass, which has since changed its name. You'd think they could use this sandy stuff to make the glass bottles, but no...they bring that in on trains.

    The thing on top is a pole that is used to string lights from and make a Christmas tree every December. They shoot fireworks off of it in July. When I was a kid, I thought every town had them.

     
  • At 3:48 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    Curese being away for a while, I missed the comp. Oh well, I'll just claim to be thw winner anyway.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     
  • At 6:23 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Bec,
    I see you're at it again. There was never a contest created that you couldn't win. Glad you're back.

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    Chat piles are what kept me out of MENSA, dammit.

     
  • At 11:00 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Diva,
    That and profanity, maybe!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home