Redneck Review

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

A Mining We Will Go
















What do you think of this, Redneck Diva? Does it look scary enough
for you? Too bad, because there ain't no spooky tours. You can go
in the museum part, which is located around back, during the daytime.
Still, I think this old lead mine could be a gold mine at Halloween.
Take people on a night-time tour. OOOoooooOOOoo. Scared yet?

Judging by the looks of the place, this may not be a good idea. This
poor mine has been a Missouri State Historic Site for about 20 years
now. Have they fixed it up? Naawww. The museum tours used to be
free. You can see a couple pieces of the old equipment they used
underground. There are, of course, some minerals. Duh! It's called
the Mineral Museum. You can sit on some wooden pews and watch
a movie made in the 1950s of mining the lead and how they separated
it. Oh, the pews sit in the old shower room. Kind of cool.

This mine was operated by the St. Joe Lead Company. This is the county
that lead built. Both of my grandpas worked in the mines, and an uncle.
Much of the land people own was bought from the St. Joe Lead Company.
And most of the deeds read "surface rights only." One of my uncles bought
70 acres at a price of $60 per acre back in the 1960s. He used it to run a
Christmas tree farm, then sold the business to my cousin, and sold off the
land at $1000 per acre. Now, land in that area will bring $7500 per acre
if you sell it in 3-acre tracts. That now concludes our little lesson on land
speculating. And our bit of a history lesson. History is not my friend. I do
not like it and never have. Because all my history teachers were football
coaches. Boo hoo, poor me. This also concludes my pity party.

I really just liked that picture of the mine. I pulled over to the shoulder of
the road so #1 son could take it. Some stupid yahoo honked at us. Hey!
I signaled when I cut across two lanes in front of him. Sheesh! Who does
he think he is, the Redneck Miss Manners of Highway Etiquette? What's
the hurry, Bubba--gotta stop by the Wal-mart for some Sudafed to cook
up a batch of crystal meth? I will be the one to do the honking on the
highway, thank you very much, because, you see, it's all about ME!

********************************************************

I heard a commotion upstairs. Seems that #1 son went to get some water
and drug the pitcher forward without removing my lunch for tomorrow
from the shelf. So... my Redneck Tupperware aka a Country Crock
margarine container of leftover Hunan Chicken took a swan dive from
the top shelf and spilled its guts on the kitchen floor. Oh, the bad luck...
my Hillbilly Husband was the witness, and had to clean it up. I don't
think I will eat it, because I have a sneaking suspicion that he may have
scooped it back into the container out of spite.

I will leave you with your bonus Redneckism for the day. My Hillbilly
Mama told me she had enclosed a scavenged part of a computer for
#1 son in a vanilla envelope.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Rachel Croucher said…

    I remember a massive old place like that when I used to catch the bus to Dusseldorf from the town where I was living in Germany. I used to fantasise about going in there and making a horror movie or something, but the few times I actually got off the bus to go and have a look I was too scared, oh for youthful folly
    *sighs*

    And my father probably would have eaten the chicken with a totally innocent look claiming "well it's not like you would eat it after it's been on the floor"

     
  • At 11:11 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Rachy,
    This place is too scary when you look at it at night. I would never ever go there at night. My imagination is too wild. I even have to change channels when a horror movie commercial comes on.

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    OH I SO wanna go there!! I would love to pilfer around in it.

    I'm such a sucker for a good scare. Tomorrow night a couple of other mommies are coming over to watch Amityville after the kids go to bed. MUAH HAHAHAHAHAAHA!

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    Yesterday I had Sam go to the van and get a folder for me. I said, "It's in the seat. It's a manilla envelope." He looked at me and rolled his eyes and said, "Duh, Mom. It's a vanilla envelope. Geesh."

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Dave,
    I will see that you get that information if you promise not to stalk me, and if you swear that your middle name is not "Fitty."

    Diva,
    You are asking for trouble, girl! I will not watch scary movies at night. Aren't those things that go bump in the daytime scary enough for you? And don't you love it when your kids know it all?

    I hope Sam does not tell you, "Once again, you stand corrected!" That's what my #1 son likes to tell me. I am concerned that our family trees might have cross-pollinated somewhere down the line.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home