Redneck Review

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Ready For School?

Monday I have to go back to work. But I really have to go back
to work now. Monday, I will sit in meetings all day. Oh, they say
we will have time to get our rooms ready. But if you have two
rooms and two sets of meetings and two of everything in the world,
it takes longer.

I took #1 son to school with me this morning to hook up all of my
equipment. The first building was great--they had even hooked up
the computers already. We spent about 2 hours there, loading
stuff on the computer (him) and putting stuff back on the walls (me).
We don't have to take it down, but it usually falls down if I don't.
And you never know when they might just decide to touch up the
paint. Nothing was missing. All systems go at this location.

The other building took a little more work, and I will have to return.
We spent an hour. #1 son hooked up my computers. I rearranged
the desks to my usual pattern. I put all of the drawers back in my
desk. We take them out so the desks can be moved more easily
out into the hall so the floor can be waxed. I must say that both
buildings looked great. The custodians have done a great job.
I will need to hang my maps back on the wall, and put back the
things that fell off ( I left the things up here). All that was missing
was my power strip that I bought myself last year. I gained a
wooden door stop. I'll have to find out who that belongs to.
Last year my rubber door stop disappeared, even though I had
written my name on it with Wite-Out. Much better than the year
I lost my TV/VCR, 3-hole punch, and stapler (they were returned),
and 24 student desks and chairs from the other building, which
were given to a different building and replaced with carved-up
desks from the cast-off room in the basement.

Now all I will have to do next week is to attend the district-wide,
high school, and middle school meetings on Monday, run copies of
my class rules and course description, write dates in the gradebooks,
fill out lesson plan books, look over class rosters, get my record-
keeping stuff organized for each class, go to open house at both
buildings Tuesday night (and make a sign for each building of the
times I will be at each location, go to Wal-mart to get my purchase
order stuff, pick up the Attendance, Discipline, Incentive policies and
the technology agreement forms for the first day of school Thursday,
make sure my printer will print, pay off someone to do my after-
school bus duties and game duties, find my end-of-year inventories
to update, make substitute folders, and I'm all ready for another
year. Ya gotta love it!

7 Comments:

  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    I was going to say the same thing as Rachy! My gosh, seems like you oughta be able to throw a few more things in there to keep yourself busy.

    Good luck!

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Rachy,
    I have done it enough now that it is just a routine list to deal with.

    Diva,
    I am SO thankful that I am not an elementary teacher. Those people really earn their money. They have so much more to do than I do.

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Blogger Raehan said…

    I hope it's a good year! What do you teach, by the way?

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Raehan,
    I teach At-Risk kids in grades 6-12.
    That means I check up on them to make sure they are doing their work, and help them with it as needed. Most of my time is spent on math, especially with 6th grade. I also do character ed with them, and try to make them more "school-friendly" so they don't get kicked out for discipline or attendance violations. The main goal is to keep them in school, getting their credits, so they don't fall behind and drop out.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said…

    Sounds good. I had to do all that stuff too, except it's all brand new to me so I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm glad you have good equipment and stuff. Mine sucks. Those carved up desks from the basement? Those are in my room. They rattle and squeak and one has fallen apart--actually fallen apart--every day so far. The other teachers have newer desks in their rooms. Various teachers' names are written on the backs of the crappy desks in my room. It's completely obvious that they've put their old crappy desks into my room as they got new stuff. That said, I completely admire you for returning the wooden doorstop.

     
  • At 11:39 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Miss Ann,
    Now you know the secret. Teachers are scavengers. They claim the stuff before the exiting teacher is out the door. Sometimes they keep their eye on something for years, waiting for an
    opportunity. And if another teacher ever "gives" you anything, always mention that it is theirs. For example, one gave me computer monitor, and another one gave me the tower. I bought my own mouse and keyboard, since the ones the tech dept. gave me didn't work. Mind you, this has been 6 years ago. The computer was running Windows 3 . freaking 1, and I upgraded it to Windows 95. But if someone says "Where did you get that computer?" I have to tell its sordid background.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger Queen Of Cheese said…

    Mr. Coach decided if he didn't have a classroom they'd just go out to the parking lot and blow up a car every day until a Science room was prepared. Damned idiot forgot he drove my car....................................just kidding

     

Post a Comment

<< Home