Redneck Review

Saturday, August 27, 2005

The Famous Author

Hillbilly Husband is in Connecticut to fix a machine and visit with
his company's big boss. He called tonight to check in. It went a
little something like this:

I'm at the bottom of Connecticut. You know, that little part that
sticks out? I am overlooking the New England Sound. I can see
across to the lights of New York, and what's that island just off
of New York?

You mean Manhattan?

Yeah, I guess. The place where everybody goes for the summer.

No, that would be the Hamptons. Long Island.

Yeah, whatever.

My boss lives two doors down from some famous author lady.
Betty something. I can't think of it now.

Hmm...you mean like famous for her writing now? Or did she write
classic literature? Or poetry? How old is she? Does she live by him,
or just her house is by his?

She just died. I think she was born in the 1930s.

You're not giving me much to go on.

I know. I don't know that kind of stuff. I'll have to ask him again.

Thirty minutes later #2 son answered the phone. Hey, Dad is back
at his motel.

Ask him about that author lady.

Oh. Mom, it was Katherine Hepburn.

Only at my house, people, is Katherine Hepburn best known for
her writing. And her nickname "Betty." Nice of HH to shave 30
years off her age, because she was born in 1903. And only at my
house does "just died" mean 2 years ago she died.

We won't even get into our geography issues.

9 Comments:

  • At 10:40 PM, Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said…

    I find myself saying that something "just" happened when it's been a while. But I guess I'd like to think that when I die it will take more than 2 years before it's exactly as if I had never existed.

    God I'm depressed.

     
  • At 1:18 AM, Blogger Raehan said…

    I'm afraid he sounds a little like me. Since you married him, maybe that's a good thing.

     
  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    I waited until today to tell HH that he was looking out across "Long Island Sound," not "New England Sound."

    I am geographically challenged, but not to his extent.

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Babs said…

    LOL!!! Katherine Hepburn as an author! Too many funnies in one post to even mention; but that one threw me for an unexpected loop!

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Blogger srp said…

    Your HH just looks at the big picture, no need to sweat about the details.

    I'm here from Michele's. I saw that one of your "additional" favorite books was "The House of God". I thought perhaps I was the only one in the world who had read it. ST. Elsewhere was based on it but really didn't have the soul of the book. I did my clinical rotations in medical school at Parkland Hospital and it was eerie, almost as if the book were written about that place. Sad and funny book.

     
  • At 3:59 PM, Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said…

    HH isn't doing bad geographically. I "grew up" (to a point) on Longuyland. Well, in Astoria, Queens. It always amazed me that folks in Queens & Brooklyn would say, "We're going out to the island."
    You're already on "the island" - knuckleheads - you're going east...

    And here I thought that Katherine Hepburn was a famous dancer. Oh, maybe that was Audrey.

     
  • At 4:15 PM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    Good ol' Betty...those were some great books she wrote just awhile back.

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    I've just discovered your site, looks great. I found it by googling "Unknown famous authors who don't know where they lived."
    HooRoo
    Bec

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Bec,
    I guess you think you're clever, sneaking in while I was busy responding to others. There's one of you in every crowd. Me me me! Stop talking to them and talk to me!

    Are you sure you weren't googling "world class car-singers?"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home