Redneck Review

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

No New Tricks

As some of you might have guessed from my previous posts, I am
not technology-friendly. This old dog is not very accepting of new
tricks. I put off getting one of those new-fangled DVD players for
a long time. Middle school kids would offer to bring a movie for
a Christmas party, and I would tell them, "But my TV only plays
tapes." Oh, that didn't bother them. "I can bring in my DVD player
and hook it up." The h*** you say! When my then-7-year-old
child promised to hook it up if I would get one, I knew it was
time to give in.

Down through history, I would have been one of the doubters.
Sail to America? (OK, so it probably wasn't named America
yet, cause we were trying to get to India to spice up our lives,
and that map-maker hadn't named my country after himself yet.)
I would not have gone. What if the ship went over the edge of
the world? Then where would I be? Hanging by my fingernails,
gasping, in the waterfall at the edge of the world, still with no
spices!

So maybe they kidnapped me and made me go. "Hey, Hillbilly
Mom, look at this red juicy plant thingy! Try a bite. They're
great!" Uh...no. Everybody knows tomatoes are poisonous.

"Let's move out west! There's free land and gold and buffalo
as far as the eye can see." No, thank you. I prefer to keep
my hair on my head. I don't want to live in a dirt house and
sweep the dirt that falls off my dirt ceiling off of my dirt floor
and out the door into the dirt.

Why would anybody need a bank? Are they too lazy to dig
a hole in the backyard and bury their money like everyone
else? I swear...the way some people put on airs.

Telephone? Is that like a really long string and a bunch of tin
cans? What was wrong with the Pony Express?

Vaccinations? You want to do what with that needle? Stick
some disease in me so I can make antibodies against it just
in case I ever get exposed to it? I think I'll take that chance.

Send a man to the moon? And bring him back safely? How
can you do that when the technology to run a future calculator
takes up an entire room? What are you, a movie producer?
(We'll discuss my moon landing propaganda another time.)

Cook food without heat? That radiation might give me cancer.
How can something cook from the inside first? With no heat?

CDs? That will never catch on. It's gonna be pretty hard
to carry those things around and try to play them in the
car or on a Walkman. That would be like carting a 45 rpm
record around with you. You'll need to strap a record-player
on your back and get a long extension cord.

Information Superhighway? What is that creepy little commercial
girl talking about? Will we ride on the big big bus and zoom
around to different libraries until we get our fill of book-learnin' ?

And don't get me started on MP3s and picture phones and
missions to Mars. It is boggling my mind. Must. Stop. Now.



4 Comments:

  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    I'd leave a comment here, but I am not sure if you could work out how to get it. lol
    Are you one of these people that had trouble coming to terms with the toilet having two buttons?
    OK, I'll stop being a bitch.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    I remember telling a boyfriend in high school that CDs would never last, that they were just too expensive and impractical. In my mind cassettes were just too perfect and there was no way that I was going to switch over to those dadblasted disks.

     
  • At 11:49 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Bec,
    You will be pleased to know that I have mastered Blogger comments. Other kinds, no.

    Toilets have buttons? What kind of crappers do you guys have over there, anyway? We have a handle that you have to jiggle every now and then when the flapper won't close. Do not ask how I know this. I would rather not.

    You can keep being a bitch. It takes one to know one.



    Diva,
    I guess you think "waist boobs" will never catch on either, huh?

     
  • At 6:09 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    Here in the land of Oz, the second driest continent on earth (Antartica beats us, bastards), we have two buttons on the toilet. Full Flush and Half Flush, FF uses 9 litres of water, HF uses 5 litres of water. So it saves water when you don't need to get rid of a lot of evidence.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     

Post a Comment

<< Home