Redneck Review

Monday, October 03, 2005

Intervention Audience

I watched this show last night on A & E called "Intervention." I have
seen parts of it before, but it's not something I plan my schedule
around. Here is my problem with this show. Who exactly is the target
audience? Are they looking for addicts who want to change? Family
who has an addict they want to change? Why would you watch
something that reminds you of your personal heartaches? And I
can't exactly picture addicts sitting around watching the show.

I know I joked about having an addiction to Sonic Cherry Diet Coke.
I don't consume drugs. I don't drink. But when I watch this show, I
watch it to see the people before they get help. To watch them take
drugs. And I don't think, "Oh, that's terrible! How can they do that?"
I think, "Man, I bet that's some good stuff. I bet they feel good right
now
." Kind of sick, isn't it? Do you think this show makes some
people get high? Do you think it gives them that little push that they
might not have had if they were watching, oh, I don't know, perhaps
Everybody Loves Raymond?

There is nothing glamorous about the way it is depicted. In fact, the
subjects of the show think they are being filmed for a documentary.
This 24-year-old guy went to visit his dad and 4-year-old half-brother,
and after he left he held up a baggie of powdered Demerol. He said
he took the capsules out of the medicine cabinet and one-by-one
poured out 40 mg of Demerol, leaving 10 mg and replacing the rest
with salt. That is just wrong. But when he licked his finger and dipped
it in the baggie, I thought, "Ooh, that's gonna be goooood." I know.
I'm sick. I'm an addict. What's up with that? Think about people who
dabble in this stuff. Couldn't a show like this push them over the
edge? Assuming they watch it, if they're not already out getting high.

Oh, I teared up a little when the families told the addicts how much
they were loved, and how they were hurting everyone. But still, I was
thinking, "I wonder if he's gonna get high one last time before he
arrives
at rehab."

It's not like this is a novelty for me. I have been around the getting
high scene. I went to college, for cryin' out loud! What is my
fascination? Do you think I have a problem? Do you think I need
an intervention? Am I the only person who watches that show to
see people get high?

I have had a stressful day. I am off to feed my other addiction:
Little Chocolate Donuts.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said…

    I have pondered the same questions about that stupid show! I can't figure out who watches it, or why---until NOW! The answer, Hillbilly Mom, is US. WE watch it. Because we like to watch people get high. And we miss...um...college.

    At the same time, it gets on my nerves like BIG TIME! I can't even articulate why I hate it, or how I feel about it. The worst part is that I HAVE to stop flipping channels and watch it if I see that it's on. It's like Jerry Springer without the chair throwing. Or the incest.

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Babs said…

    I have not seen the show, but it sounds like one of those shows you hate so you HAVE to watch it. It also sounds like one of those shows that Hubby would complain about it not being entertaining. Anything with realistic life drama to him is not entertaining. Incidentally, are addicts more entertaining on TV than in real life?

    Your questions are very interesting. Having worked with addicts I can tell you that just about anything can be a trigger.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Babs,
    Yes and no. In real life, they are good for a laugh to a certain extent. On TV they are just kind of pathetic. On the other hand, on TV you don't have to worry about them accidentally killing themselves on your watch.

     
  • At 4:02 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    To think, over here we get "the pick" of American television. I'm so glad shows like this are not imported.
    HooRoo
    Rebecca

     

Post a Comment

<< Home