Redneck Review

Monday, August 15, 2005

Rebecca's Challenge

In the comments to my August 14 post Hidden Talent, Rebecca
said she was up for a challenge. I do plan to follow through on
her suggestion to put my whiney ol' hillbilly voice on an audioblog
for you, but it might have to wait until the weekend.

Rebecca has volunteered to sing a song of my choosing. Be careful
what you volunteer for, I always say. No need to make it easy. So
here it is, Rebecca. I challenge you to sing the second verse to "It Goes
Like It Goes," the 1980 Academy Award winning theme song to the
1979 classic movie, Norma Rae, directed by Martin Ritt, and starring
Sally Field. You know, the movie that proved we like her, we really
like her.

"It Goes Like It Goes" goes a little something like this:

Ain't no miracle bein' born
People doin' it everyday
Ain't no miracle growing old
People just roll that way.

So it goes like it goes and the river flows
And time it rolls right on
And maybe what's good gets a little bit better
And maybe what's bad gets gone

Bless the child of the workin' man
She knows too soon who she is
And bless the hands of a workin' man
He knows his soul is his

So it goes like it goes and the river flows
And time it rolls right on
And maybe what's good gets a little bit better
And maybe what's bad gets gone

Now I know you might be tempted, Rebecca, to sing the whole thing.
But the problem is that my computer will time out, and I will not get to
hear it. So just sing the part I've highlighted for you. That is my favorite
part. Of course, I don't know where you can find this if you haven't
seen Norma Rae. But you know movies, so I think you have seen
Norma Rae. Anyway, the music and lyrics are by David Shire and
Norman Gimbel. It was sung by Jennifer Warnes. Good luck. Oh,
and you don't have to sing a capella. You can even have Norma Rae
playing in the background if you'd like.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:09 PM, Blogger Raehan said…

    Ooooh. Very cool. I can't wait to hear it.

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Redneck Diva said…

    How do you do an audio blog?

    Seriously. I'm assuming you have to have a mic, right? (Well, duh, you can't use your telepathic brain waves, Diva. Nevermind.) Anyway, WHERE do you record it?

    I wanna do one!!!

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Raehan,
    I want to hear it too. What's that I hear? Could it be Rebecca squawking like a chicken? Nawwwww. I think she'll do it.

    Diva,
    My son says it will be easy. When he shows me this weekend, I will let you know.

     
  • At 2:48 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    I'll be seeing to this challenge tomorrow night (about 24 hours away), as I have just got home from two sleepless nights and days, and I need to crash.
    There is no way I will chicken out on this, even though I have never heard the song before.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Bec,
    I knew you were up for the challenge. If you watch the movie "Norma Rae," the song is sung over the opening credits. Maybe that hint will help you.

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    Well I couldn't find the movie, and all I could find of the song, was part of it to download. I am more than happy to say, this is one challenge you have won outright, with out even sounding a note.
    You can read about it all on my blog, and I am looking forward to the next challenge.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     
  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    OK everyone, go to Bec's blog and listen. "Rants of a Rebecca". It's in my links.

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    That is one of the worst things I have ever heard. PLEASE don't ever challenge that Rebecca again!
    HooRoo
    Bec

     

Post a Comment

<< Home