Redneck Review

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Redneck Thang, or just Gender Roles?

Before I married the Hubby, he invited me to a BBQ at his
buddy's house. Buddy was married, with a nice house in the
country just up the road from where Hubby and I live now.

When we arrived, Buddy's wife was inside with some other
womenfolk getting food ready. Buddy was outside by the
grill. Future-Hubby sat down by him, and I did the same.
I didn't know Buddy's wife or the other women, so I stayed
with FH. The minute I sat down at the picnic table, Buddy
tossed a 10 lb. pack of ground beef in my direction, and said,
"Here, pat us out some hamburgers." I was flabbergasted.
Me? Pat out hamburgers? I'm a guest here. Whatchoo talkin'
bout, Buddy? I said, "No thanks." FH looked at me kind of
funny. But he made no move to pat out any hamburgers,
either. So Buddy did it himself.

I had been raised around these parts, so I knew that after
Thanksgiving dinner, all the men went to watch football while
the women cleaned up the mess. I knew that if a man had
something in his hand that he didn't want, like a candy wrapper,
used gum, tissue, receipt for something he just bought, etc.
that he said, "Here." and handed it to his woman. But I had
no idea that a man would ask a guest to do his food prep
for him.

True, I had been away from the area for awhile. I had got
me a college education. OK, so it was from Springfield, MO,
but that is still the city compared to where I'm from. And
I had lived on my own for several years. I didn't have to
depend on a man for my survival. I considered myself to
be independent. FH called it "set in my ways."

So was I wrong to feel "put-upon" when Buddy asked me to
pat out the hamburgers? He didn't ask FH, his friend since
childhood. He asked me, the guest that he had only met a
few times. Would men outside of Redneckland do something
like that? Is it a universal gender thing? I hope not. By golly,
we womenfolk even have us them there votin' rights now!

4 Comments:

  • At 3:10 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    I think guys are pretty much like that the world over, they will always try to get a woman to do their work for them. After all, deep down, they know we can do a much better job.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     
  • At 8:36 AM, Blogger Rachel Croucher said…

    although one side of me says it is so wrong, I grew up a hillbilly and it might have just been his way to try and include you if he thought that your future husband wanted you, which your future husband probably had made very clear to him at the time

    But really, no matter what, who's happy now?

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Hey guys, good to know that I'm lazy AND paranoid! I totally missed that "including me" angle. I caught on, though, when another of FH's friends asked me to hold the light while he showed me his poached deer. (Not poached as in boiled-in-water, but poached as in killed-outside-the- parameters-of-deer season). I thought he was being friendly, then he said, "Since you held the light, you're an accomplice, just in case you might know anyone who's a game warden."

     
  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said…

    I thought he was being friendly, then he said, "Since you held the light, you're an accomplice, just in case you might know anyone who's a game warden."

    Who's paranoid? hah!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home