Redneck Review

Sunday, May 29, 2005

CatFishing No More

The saga of the Hillbilly Fish Pond continues. In my May 24 post,
I showed our cat fishing in the fake pond. Hubby had decided to
upgrade this pond with a little waterfall (as he told it.) #1 son
said it wouldn't go with the fishpond we had (some kind of
smooth black plastic vs gray fake rock plastic thing). After my
nagging, Hubby decided he would re-do the whole pond, just to
get this little waterfall. My chief complaint with the original fish
pond was the green water. The rest of it didn't look too bad,
except for the wood chips.

Well, here it is now. It's still a work in progress, but the main
thing I notice is that there is still green water in it! After one day
of pouring the green water in, there is algae already clinging to
the sides and the rock. Hubby said that we had to keep the fish
in the green water or they would die from the shock of clean
water. Hubby says it will clean right up, because the rocks will
filter and the plants will eat up the algae. I complained that plants
do not eat. They make their own food through photosynthesis
(I ain't got that biology minor for nothin', folks) and that algae
are just tiny green plants themselves. And anyway, what plants?
Oh, he is going to buy some.

So now Hubby and #1 son are off to Wal-mart to get some
more rock and some plants.

And the big goldfish that were in the pond? Two of them died
from living in the tall garbage can of green water for 3 days.
The yellow cat got swatted with the garden hose ("Right on his
spine, Mom!") for trying to fish them out through the lattice on
top of the can. Then he ate the two dead ones Hubby threw
down in the woods. (At least the sinkhole was spared these
corpses). "We'll have to watch him now that he's had a taste of
those fish," warned Hubby.

Hello....he was fishing long before that! I have the evidence in
my pictures from the last post! And now the new fish pond is
so unappealing that he won't even fish.

I will post a new picture of the final version when it is done.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:31 AM, Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said…

    The water's gotta be pretty bad if the cat considers it too nasty to go fishing in!

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Blogger Mommy Needs a Xanax said…

    BTW, HBmom, Just out of curiousity what subject/grade do you teach? (If you can answer without revealing your anonymous blogger identity.)

     
  • At 3:55 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    That water is not green, it is environmentally friendly. Ok, so it is green. Does it get any sunlight where it is?
    Oh and I think that you might be a Maths/Science teacher.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger Hillbilly Mom said…

    Deadpanann and Rebecca,

    I don't talk about the people at my current job, and try to keep this blog G rated, so I don't care if work people discover who I am.

    I used to be a science teacher, but was asked to teach kids who are "at risk" of not graduating. That means they have no measurable learning disabilities, but do not apply themselves. I definitely like this better. I have done it for several years now, grades 6-12. Rebecca, that is 11 year olds to 19 year olds (because a lot of my students have been held back a year), in case your schools are set up differently. I mainly do some character education, and then help them with their regular subjects, kind of like individual or small-group tutoring.
    And I spend most of my time on math and science. Are you psychic, Rebecca, or just very observant about things I have put in my blog? And the good thing about being a teacher...I LOVES ME SOME SUMMER VACATION!

    And about the green water...Hubby told me this morning that the WATER is clear. It's the algae growing on the plastic and the rocks that is green. Hmmm... He just put this thing in the ground two days ago. Did he buy one that came with built-in algae? It is in the sunlight from sunrise to around 4:00.

     
  • At 1:29 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Hillbilly Mom,
    Teachers know teachers I guess.
    My teaching degree is in media and Social Studies, but I have never used it for a living. My ex-sister is also a teacher, two of my ex-cousins are teachers, but one is non-practicing. Their father was a teacher also, so I guess it runs in the family.
    Best of luck with getting the pond clear, if only there was a trick like tat one for turning beetroot water clear.
    HooRoo
    Bec

     

Post a Comment

<< Home