Redneck Review

Sunday, April 17, 2005

About This Blog

What's this blog all about? It's about the midwestern experience.
What makes us hillbillies tick? You won't know till you've been
here in central Missouri. People and attitudes are different.

Years ago, when I first heard comedian Jeff Foxworthy talk
about "You might be a redneck if...." , I thought "Yeah, so..?"
The things he talked about were definitely part of my lifestyle.
For example, "If you put your working TV on top of your non-
working TV, you just might be a redneck." Been there, done
that. Well, my dad did, anyway. For about 6 months. And what
about using margarine tubs for Tupperware? I still do.

When my 10-year-old son can help me, I would like to post a
picture on this site of what is in my front yard. It kind of defines
my hillbilly lifestyle. OK, so the suspense doesn't kill you--it's a
5th-wheel camper. Now, I don't know why we can't park it by
the barn, or in the field on the other side of the house. I guess my
husband wants to admire it out the front window of the living
room. He has some funny ideas, which I will be glad to share
with you in coming weeks.

Here is Hubby's latest dream: he wants a 1986 Mercedes to
drive to work. With the price of gas soaring, he has decided that
the Ford F250 4WD Extended Cab Long Bed with the off-road
package that he just had to have 2 years ago is not exactly
economical for his daily 60-mile-round-trip commute. We found
this buttercup yellow Mercedes 300SE on a used-car lot, and he
started talking about how 2 or 3 guys at work have a Mercedes
deisel and how they are saving money. Now for the odd hillbilly
twist--they use an alternative fuel. (No, it's not moonshine.) The
secret is cooking oil. The guys go around to Chinese restaurants
and ask for their used peanut oil. Hubby says french fry oil will
work too, but you have to strain it. I said I will consider letting
him buy the car, but if I catch him sitting around outside Chinese
restaurants, it's gone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home